Charlie Russell | Life among grizzlies

I knew that I didn’t need a gun—and that a gun would work against the trust I was trying to establish, which meant that the grizzlies would be more dangerous; not less. Bear spray had been developed by then, and I knew the man who had developed it, and I knew that it worked. Bear spray is basically a very powerful pepper spray, and it will deter even an angry bear.

I’ve always been a pain in the neck to authorities, because I have these opinions. Eventually I prevailed in being allowed to not carry a gun. At the time, I was the only guide in North America with this permission, but now there are a handful of others who do not carry guns either. They still carry guns in Alaska, unfortunately.

The rangers also tried to put barriers in the way by requiring us to maintain a minimum distance of 150 yards from the bears. But younger bears in particular wanted to be close to people because people afforded them protection against older male bears. The big males were the most afraid of people and kept their distance from us, and the younger bears had figured this out. So the question became, “How close do you need to be to the bears?” My answer was, “Let the bears decide.”

The MOON: Did you ever encounter a situation where the older bears ignored your presence and came after the younger bears anyway?

Russell: Yes, a few times. The younger bears realized, “Oh, that didn’t work,” and ran off. So then the issue became, “Can we trust these big males?” Most of the big males were quite trustworthy. Some of them weren’t, so we kept our distance from them.

I was lucky in that the owner of the business allowed me to experiment this way and backed me in my battles with the Park Service, but I realized that I couldn’t allow his clients to be guinea pigs because I was curious. So I began to look for a place where I could be alone in the vicinity of many bears. I wanted to do a proper study, but I didn’t have any money to do a study; I didn’t have a suitable place; and I didn’t have scientific credentials.

I drew up a proposal to explain that I wanted to explore whether bears and humans could be friends. I needed an area where the only humans would be myself and the other study participants, because I didn’t want the bears to get mixed messages. I wanted exclusive access to the bears for as long as I could possibly have. It wouldn’t be fair to develop trust with animals in the summer, and then have hunting season open. It would be tragic for them to develop trust with humans within a small radius, but then wander into an area where trust would get them killed.

It turned out to be a difficult place to find. I needed a lot of bears. Even here on the ranch we have grizzly bears, but if you see one a week, or even one a month, that’s quite a bit. I wanted a place where I could have encounters with them continuously.

I ended up in Kamchatka, Russia, by accident, after I’d almost given up. All the jurisdictions in North America had management policies based upon keeping distance between the humans and the bears. The way they maintained distance was by keeping bears and humans fearful of each other. But to keep bears fearful, you have to treat them quite harshly: shoot them with rubber bullets, herd them away with dogs, and so forth. They believe that a bear who is not fearful of people is a dangerous bear. This is a huge problem for the bears. We’re so afraid of them that we can’t be social with them. So no one in North America would allow me to conduct my study in their jurisdiction.

There were two main questions that I believed were really troublesome for the bears, which I wanted to test. They were:

1. Can we develop a relationship with bears based on trust, rather than fear?

2. Are bears inherently unpredictable? It is true that they will turn on you and kill you for no reason?

I believed the answer to the first question was yes and the answer to the second question was no. I believed that then, and I believe that now. In fact, I’ve proved those answers to be correct. I’ve lived with hundreds of bears for more than ten years and no bear ever once turned on me, threatened me, or harmed me in any way. I was often within a few feet of them, with my back to them, and they’d had ample opportunity to hurt me, but they hadn’t. Far from being unpredictable, they’d been trustworthy.

Just when I was about to give up hope of finding a location to study bears, I was hired by the Great Bear Foundation, of Montana, to investigate the extent of brown bear poaching in Kamchatka—a beautiful peninsula in the far east of Russia. While I was there I met a Russian bear biologist. I told him about the study I hoped to conduct, and about my difficulty finding a suitable place, and he said, “Why don’t you do it here?” I said, “Where, here?” because I needed a very remote place.

As it turned out, he knew of such a place in Kamchatka. In fact, he was going to take me to it, but the weather turned bad and we couldn’t go. Anyway, I was very excited because, from what he told me, this place was even more remote and even more amazing, and there were definitely a lot of bears there.

My next big problem was where to find the money to conduct the study, because it was going to be expensive in Russia. I had no degree; I was an ex-rancher. How was an ex-rancher going to talk people out of their money? But I had a really interesting idea, and people were intrigued by it. Plus, I had enough experience with bears by then that I had credibility. People believed I could carry it off.

I lived near Calgary, an oil-company town, and I was able to meet with oil company executives and talk them out of $50,000 at a time. I did this for ten years. I raised over a million dollars—not just for my own study, but for other projects that were necessary in Russia. We trained Russians to be eco-guides, for example. When the Soviet Union fell apart, Russians started to realize that they could make money off of their bears by leading hunting expeditions. I wanted to educate them about making more money by being eco-guides. I became friends with a lot of the newly hatched outfitters and talked quite a few of them into leading bear-viewing, rather than bear-hunting, expeditions. I’d find money to get them trained and started. I created a range of programs that were funded through donations—other people’s money—because I had no money. But I had photos of the place, which were pretty spectacular, and people wanted to see that kind of place survive.

(Continued…)

12 Responses to Charlie Russell | Life among grizzlies

1. Debbie Peacock September 11, 2013 at 7:17 pm #

I think this man had stunning intuition and I think a lot can br learnt from hid intelligent mindset. I believe his theory would work on most wild animals.

2. LINDA LANDERS September 12, 2013 at 3:56 am #

SO VERY INTERESTING CHARLIE…WONDERFUL READING…WONDERFUL LOGIC!!

3. Vivienne Rundle September 12, 2013 at 4:00 am #

What a splendid article……..
    I am in the UK and came to you from a link on the North American Bear Center page.
    Even though we don’t have bears in the UK I have been following the daily updates from NABC for two or three years now and even did some den cam watching research for them, grieved over the loss of ‘Hope’ and read your article with quite some emotion.
    The BBC showed a documentary on Timothy Treadwell and I think he came across as an egotistic, idiot who was heading for trouble but, as you say, the real tragedy was that his death has set back public opinion by years. It didn’t make sense, but even I wondered if there was any difference between the Grizzly behaviour and that of the Black Bear.
    I won’t go on, but thank you for the article, I wish you all the very best and hope passionately that your and Lynn Roger’s views will soon gain recognition for the benefit of all of us.
    Sincerely, Vivienne Rundle

• christine September 13, 2013 at 7:27 am #

I am leaving this as a reply to Vivienne’s mail as hers could so easily have been mine! I too live in the UK and came to the article via the NABC website which I have been following since the BBC programme my bear family and me – agree with everything you say Vivienne and add my thanks to you Charlie for such an enlightening article.
      I too hope and pray that people become more aware of the work you and Lynn Rogers and his team are doing and that these beautiful creatures can be left in peace without risking being shot at every turn.

4. nora September 12, 2013 at 7:14 am #

I am so grateful for this article and to Charlie Russell for his courageous and passionate life. I have been waiting for this information. Thank you.

5. judy September 12, 2013 at 3:58 pm #

I am so impressed. I only wish that humans were not so closed minded. I so respect what you have done, the insight in your evaluation of bears, and knowledge that there are mean humans and not just mean bears. I hope and pray that we can learn from your experiences and live peacefully with nature. Thank you.

6. Ken King October 19, 2013 at 12:34 pm #

This article does a great job of showing the kind nature and dedication to our positive future with bears that is Charlie Russell. I have had the very great pleasure of working with black bears on a golf course quite near to where Charlie lives. Over my ten year tenure at the course, I noticed that when I started the expected procedure was to use loud noises and fast golf carts to chase the bears off of the course with the result we worked with bears who were not comfortable and so bluff charged quite often. As we decreased the confrontational ways to deal with the bears to the point where many of out golfers simply played through the bears, leaving them in place and giving them good room as they moved around the course, we achieved the result one would expect if one understands Charlies message from the above interview. We had far fewer negative interactions with the bears. I truly hope that as time goes by, the course will continue to deal with our furry friends in a respectful manner and part of Mr. Russell’s message will provide a living example for Parks Canada in their own back yard.

7. Marc Severson December 3, 2013 at 7:58 pm #

This world does not belong to us and if we do not find a way to coexist with other species here it will be our loss. Charlie Russell appears to understand this.

8. Mark March 22, 2016 at 11:50 pm #

This guy is GREAT! Spread the word, Charlie is GREAT!

9. Brenda Gentile April 27, 2016 at 6:24 am #

Dear Charliie, I bought and enjoyed your book, “Grizzly Heart.” I support wildlife. I agree with this book.
    I feel like I lived in Kamchatka with you and Maureen. Thank you for your research and for the kind and caring hearts of both you and Maureen. My squirrels, birds, and pet cats mean the world to me – I talk to them and am ever surprised at the fact they – even birds – have varying personalities. You captured the personalities of the bears in a beautiful way — and the beauty to be found in Russia, despite a cold and often unforgiving climate. I am 73 and live in KY.

1. Moon Magazine Interview with Charlie Russell | Bears Matter - September 15, 2013

[…] Charlie Russell | Life among grizzlies or http://moonmagazine.org/charlie-russell-life-among-grizzlies-2013-09-01/6/  […]

2. Advocating for the souls of animals | An interview with Gay Bradshaw - January 6, 2015

[…] discovered Bradshaw and the work of The Kerulos Center while researching Charlie Russell, whose interview in the September 2013 issue of The MOON was our most-read article for nearly a year. Bradshaw […]